Join the Mayo Street Arts Team!
Summer Teacher – RAD! Program
Mayo Street Arts (MSA) is a vibrant, nonprofit, community arts center located in the heart of Portland Maine’s East Bayside neighborhood. MSA presents over 150 art exhibits, music concerts, puppet theater shows, and other events for thousands of audience member each year.
MSA plays an important role in its diverse neighborhood by providing the summer program, RAD! (Reading, Art, Dance!) The program is a free by invitation outreach program reaching a diverse population of youths who are primarily ESL and ELL students.
The RAD Program is a collaboration with local schools and community partners to reach children who might otherwise have few summer learning opportunities. Staff and volunteers work together to provide valuable reading instruction and literacy-based arts programming designed to help children maintain or improve reading levels over the summer.
The Summer Teacher assists the Lead Teacher reaching 15-20 students ages 6-11. Two Summer Teachers help with student reading, writing, and arts activities, and work collaboratively with all staff and volunteers to ensure successful outcomes.
The ideal candidate has experience teaching or leading youth programs in a summer camp or educational setting, is organized, loves kids, is outgoing, a good planner, safety-conscious, and has strong communication skills.
A typical daily structure is reading and writing time from 1-2:15pm, then break for snack/lunch, art activities like painting, drawing, theater games, or dance from 2:30-4.
Daily work schedule is 12:30-4:30pm, Monday–Thursday.
Program for children is Monday through Thursday, 1:00 – 4:00pm
This is a five-week, part time position
The RAD Program begins July 8 and ends August 8, 2019.
1-2 training meetings and one special event on Tues August 6th from 5-9pm are mandatory.
Rate of pay: $15/hr.
- Assists the Lead Teacher to plan activities as needed.
- Organizes program learning and art making spaces
- Attends orientation/training meetings before program start
- Assists Lead Teacher to meet and greet students, parents, staff, and volunteers in a positive outgoing manner, take attendance, and engage students in reading activities.
- Helps students with daily reading, writing, and arts activities
- Assists visiting artists as needed.
- Ensures activities are planned and prepped
- Set up snack or lunch and clean up after
- Helps with field trips
- Makes sure program spaces are clean and organized at the end of the day
- Helps see that children get home safely and on time
- Attends staff meetings
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume, and 3 references to:
Mayo Street Arts
attn: Britttany Buotte, MSA Summer programs Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: June 8th
Job Begins July 8th