Through our summer kids’ programs and multicultural arts programming throughout the year, Mayo Street Arts has become a bright beacon of welcome for artists and families arriving in Portland from all over the world. We’re really proud to be doing this important work, and we need your help.
Accessibility is important, especially at a neighborhood-based community arts center.
Accessibility means that people of all ages, abilities, cultures, and languages feel welcome and able to participate.
Our goals are to make Mayo Street Arts accessible in the following ways:
- Physical Access: A wheelchair ramp and interior ADA improvements will provide entrance to the building for physically impaired and the elderly.
- Language Access: An exterior mural and signage will convey universal welcome to people of all languages. Increased language and interpretive services for performances and youth programs.
- Cultural Access: Outreach to neighborhood families to explain offerings and encourage participation.
- Economic Access: Free admission to programs for those who would otherwise not be able to attend, for instance International Open Mic nights, Saturday morning puppet shows, and summer learning programs for youth.
- Our community and neighborhood will be strengthened.
- People of all languages and abilities will have better access to their neighborhood arts center.
- Individual artists, students, and audience members will have improved experiences.
- Neighbors of all cultures will be more aware of the resources available to them.
- The greater public will have a fuller understanding of the cultures and communities in their state.
- MSA will be eligible to apply for federal grants with ADA prerequisites.
- No one will be prevented from participating from classes, programs, and performances due to physical constraints.
Mayo Street Arts was recently awarded a Portland Community Development Block Grant of $75,000 for a wheelchair ramp, and $10,000 from the Onion Foundation towards other accessibility efforts. These grants are a huge deal for Mayo Street Arts!
To build on this awesome momentum, we still need to raise additional funds to help make our building and program offerings as accessible and welcoming as possible.
We hope you will consider making a gift now to help MSA be accessible for all.
Your support — no matter how big or small — is incredibly important to us. I promise that your gift will be used to enhance our efforts to provide as warm a welcome as possible to EVERYONE who wants to be a part of the Mayo Street Arts community.
Please do not hesitate to reach me with questions about this campaign. Thank you for your consideration and your loyal support of Mayo Street Arts.